Windy Arbour is an urban village on the banks of the Slann River in Dublin 14. In 1798 it was home to the family of Republican heroes Robert Emmet and United Irishman founder Thomas Addis Emmet.
Windy Arbour Village lies about half way between Milltown and Dundrum villages. The Emmett family built their home, which they called Casino, here in the 1780s. Robert Emmet and his brother Thomas Addis Emmet were brought up in the Church of Ireland tradition. Their father was a prominent doctor, who became the state physician. His wife was related to William Temple, after whom Temple Bar is named.
Today, Casino is owned by the Irish government and used as an educational office. It is next door to the Church of the Miraculous medal in Clonskeagh, which was built in the 1930s.
Pictured below is the Packhorse Bridge at Milltown, one of Dublin’s oldest medievel bridges. It was probably built by Norman settlers, who also built castles at Milltown and Dundrum. Most Norman castles were used as garrisons where troops were billeted and supplies stored. The Norman castles were needed to subdue the native Irish, who had strongholds in Wicklow and further West and South.
In 2011 Shan helped local traders to set up a local business association called Windy Arbour Village Association, or WAVA for short.
WAVA website WWW.Windyarbour.webs.com